There was a gas leak on Sturgeon Bay’s west side Thursday afternoon, took place on oak street between Madison Ave and Neenah Ave. . It appears that a contractor was doing some digging in the area and hit an underground gas line. The Sturgeon Bay Fire Department was called to the scene just after 11:00 am. They sent 2 engines with 4 personnel to be available at the scene while Wisconsin Public Service performed immediate repairs. WPS spokesman Matt Cullen reports that their crew first stopped the flow of natural gas to make the area safe and then continued with repairs. They gave the Sturgeon Bay Fire Department the all-clear to leave almost 2 hours later, and Cullen said the repairs would be done by mid-afternoon. One or more buildings may have been evacuated during the early portion of the response, but soon enough the are was made safe and there was no more potential hazard to the public.