Space Heater Leads to House Fire in Sturgeon Bay

A space heater and an overloaded electrical line are the likely causes of a fire that damaged a home in the 400 block of North 7th Avenue in Sturgeon Bay early Wednesday morning. Assistant Fire Chief Tim Dietman says the fire call came in at 5:19AM and two dozen firefighters and nine units responded. The first crews on the scene saw smoke coming out of the eaves on the back side of the structure. The fire, which was primarily located in the attic, also moved to the kitchen area, but was extinguished with about 200 gallons of water. During the firefighting operation, crews opened a window and punched a hole to the wall to aid ventilation. The occupants of the house, including two children, exited the structure without injury, Dietman said they reported a flash and smelled smoke before realizing they had a fire on their hands. While the blaze was contained to attic, there was some light smoke damage throughout the home. Fire crews cleared the scene at about 8:25AM Wednesday.

Posted in News |

Comments are closed.