Electrical Panel Causes Smoky Fire Tuesday Evening

An overloaded electrical panel was the cause of a smoky fire Tuesday evening at 640 North 5th Avenue in Sturgeon Bay. Assistant Fire Chief Tim Dietman says four units & six firefighters were sent to the apartment at 9:30PM. Dietman says they found smoke coming from the apartment’s fuse panel & says the damage could have been much worse if the panel had not been shut down before fire crews arrived…[audio:http://wdor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/N91.mp3|titles=Assistant Fire Chief Tim Dietman]
Dietman says the fire is an example of trying to do too much with the electrical service available…[audio:http://wdor.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/N92.mp3|titles=Assistant Fire Chief Tim Dietman]
Dietman also said a smoke detector was not functioning, a dangerous situation given the fact that the occupant was about to go to bed. The American Red Cross provided services for the victim who was unable to stay in the apartment. Firefighters cleared the scene at 10:37PM.

Posted in News |

Comments are closed.