Multiple units of the Southern Door Fire Department were sent to the Door County Humane Society animal shelter Friday after a crew doing excavating at the site severed a natural gas line while working on a parking area. Captain Thad Trembl says department crews were dispatched at 5pm and, following procedure, cordoned off the area, including a portion of County Trunk C and Park Drive. while waiting for technicians from Wisconsin Public Service to arrive. Personnel also evacuated Humane Society employees in the building, along with a furnace repairman and the excavation crew.
WPS repaired the broken natural gas line without incident and fire department personnel were back at the station by 6:40pm. About 10 – 15 Southern Door firefighters responded to the gas leak call on Friday.